We Are A Non-Profit Team
Precious Touch Foundation Inc. is a non-profit charitable organization that was launched on November 24, 2007, at the Divi Southwinds Hotel, in St. Lawrence in Christ Church. It is officially registered and legally incorporated under the Companies Act of Barbados, and our Corporate Tax No. is 29818. Precious Touch Foundation Inc. is dedicated to the granting of ‘WISHES’ to children between the ages of 2 and 16 years old who have been diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions.
Our main goal is to bring joy, peace, and happiness, and a sense of comfort to the hearts of those special children, as well as to create a magical ‘WISH’ experience for the child which will last a lifetime, in the hearts of all those involved in the ‘WISH’. Through our Wish-Granting program, children and their families can continue to enjoy the peace and happiness of life, thereby replacing the suffering with smiles and laughter.
“To translate the aspirations, dreams, and wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions, into tangible real encounters and fulfilling memorable experiences.”
- To RENDER service to the children of our nation with life-threatening medical conditions, in an effort to ensure that their special wishes and desires are fulfilled.
- To BUILD through the “Precious Touch Foundation Inc.” a warm, friendly and caring relationship where children can experience the peace, joy and happiness of life.
- To PROMOTE a loving nation without prejudice, in an effort to brighten the lives of seriously ill children and their families, regardless of race, color, class or creed.
- To GIVE the children and their families the moral support to engender hope, inspiration and strength to persevere, as they cope with a difficult period of treatment in their lives.
- To DEVELOP public awareness through a variety of outreach programs aimed at enhancing the quality of life for seriously ill children.
- To CREATE and maintain a relationship with other Charity Organizations and Health Care Facilities, which cater to the needs and welfare of seriously ill children.
Precious Touch Foundation Inc. was conceptualised from a television movie ‘A Child’s Wish’ which was aired on Lifetime Television in November 2003. This movie was about a little girl diagnosed with cancer whose wish was to meet the President of the United States of America. So emotionally intriguing was the movie that it prompted the setting up of a similar Organisation here in Barbados West Indies.
FIRST WISH CHILD
Child Name: Tamika Stephenson
Child’s Age: 9 years
On December 21st, 2007, nine-year-old Tamika Stevenson got to live out her dream. And from 10 am until 2 pm she forgot about her own struggle with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL).
Dressed in her doctor’s coat made especially for her and carrying her own stethoscope Tamika in the picture to the right, checked the heartbeats of some of the children on the ward under the watchful care of Dr. Angela Jennings, consultant pediatrician.
I Wish To Be A Doctor - Tamika Stevenson
How We Grant Wishes
Our organization caters to the granting of wishes of children diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions, between the ages of two and 16 years old (prior to their 17th birth date).
The wishes are divided into four categories:
- I wish to go…
- I wish to be …
- I wish to have … and
- I wish to meet … .
Precious Touch Foundation Inc. will accept wish referrals from the following referral sources:
- The potential wish child.
- The Child’s parent (s) or legal guardian (s).
- A medical professional treating the child, such as a doctor, nurse, therapist or social worker.
In the event that the child is unable to have his or her wish granted for medical reasons, Precious Touch Foundation Inc. will be happy to have the wish delayed until it is medically convenient for the child. However, the wish will not go beyond the child’s 18th birth date.
Once the child’s illness is confirmed by a medical professional, the ‘Wish’ is then chosen by the child, and approved by Precious Touch Foundation Inc. After this process is completed, our ‘Wish Team’ sets out to make it come true. Thereby, creating a magical wish experience for the child, which will last a lifetime in the hearts of all those involved in the wish.
The Precious Touch Foundation Inc. respects the privacy of the children and their families. All medical information received is kept CONFIDENTIAL
Managing Our Funds
Precious Touch Foundation Inc. is very happy about the way it manages and controls all funds, and the many generous donations receive from individuals, companies and organizations. All donations received by the Foundation are allocated directly to the granting of wishes. Other programs and services undertaken by the Foundation are fully supported by internal fund raising events.